Garage door springs play a crucial role in the smooth operation of your garage door, but they are also prone to wear and tear over time. Recognizing the signs of a broken garage door spring is essential for timely repairs and avoiding potential safety hazards. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the indicators that your garage door spring may be broken and why addressing this issue promptly is crucial.
What is a garage door spring?
A garage door spring is a crucial component of a garage door system that helps in the opening and closing of the door. It acts as a counterbalance to the weight of the garage door, making it easier to lift manually or for the garage door opener to operate.
What are common signs of a broken garage door spring?
- Unusual Noises: One of the first signs of a broken garage door spring is unusual noises during operation. If you hear a loud bang or a noticeable snap when opening or closing the door, it’s likely that a spring has broken. These sounds are often accompanied by a sudden halt in the door’s movement.
- Garage Door Imbalance: A garage door with a broken spring will likely appear unbalanced. You may notice that one side of the door hangs lower than the other, making it challenging to open manually. This imbalance can strain other components of the garage door system.
- Difficulty Opening or Closing the Garage Door: When a spring is broken, the garage door opener may struggle to lift the door, leading to difficulty in opening or closing. If you find yourself applying extra force to operate the door or if it doesn’t respond as smoothly as usual, it’s a red flag.
- Gaps in the Spring: Inspect the springs for any visible signs of damage. If you notice a visible gap or a break in the spring, it’s a clear indication of a problem. Broken springs often exhibit a separation or a noticeable crack.
- Crooked or Jerky Movement: Observe the movement of your garage door during operation. If it appears crooked or exhibits jerky movements, it’s likely that a spring is broken. This uneven movement can lead to further damage if not addressed promptly.
- Visible Wear and Tear: Examine the condition of the springs for any visible wear and tear. Over time, garage door springs can corrode, rust, or show signs of fatigue. If you notice any deterioration, it’s a sign that the spring may be compromised.
- Sudden Inability to Lift the Door: A sudden inability to lift the garage door manually is a clear indicator of a broken spring. Attempting to force the door open in this situation can result in more significant damage and safety risks.
What should you do if you think you have a broken garage door spring?
If your garage door is in the open position, avoid using the manual override without adequate help to safely guide the door down the track. Detaching the opener without assistance could lead to the door crashing down, potentially causing damage or, worse, injuries. If the door is open and can’t be closed safely, position sturdy objects along the track to catch the door if it falls. Without the automatic opener, the door’s full weight is on itself, so caution is essential. Inform everyone in your household about the issue and potential dangers, advising them to stay away until professional help arrives.
If you discover a broken or damaged spring with the garage door closed, keep it shut until a qualified repair professional assesses the damage. If your car is inside and immediate repair is necessary, avoid overriding the automatic opener unless you have strong helpers to prevent the door from falling on you or your car.
Call a Professional!
Calling a professional for suspected broken garage door springs is essential due to the potential dangers and complexities involved. Professionals ensure safety during repairs, accurately diagnose issues, and use the proper tools and equipment. Their expertise prevents further damage, saves time, and avoids the risks associated with DIY attempts. Additionally, professional repairs contribute to the long-term reliability of the garage door system, often accompanied by warranties for added assurance.
On Track Garage Door Can Help You With Your Garage Door Needs
Selecting the right garage door company is crucial to ensure a seamless experience and a long-lasting investment. On Track Garage Door has provided hundreds of residents with quality products, professional installations, timely repairs, excellent customer service, and transparent pricing. Remember, a great garage door company not only opens physical doors but also opens doors to exceptional service and peace of mind for homeowners.